King Hiram's Lodge (Provincetown, MA)
Part 3: Lodge Room Interior
Although many significant changes have occurred to the exterior of our building, the interior of our Lodge room has remained virtually intact, and in terms of elegance, is rivaled only by the Lodge rooms at Grand Lodge in Boston. Of the more dramatic features of this room are the original ornamental tin ceiling trimmed in gold leaf, and the large wall murals depicting the work of the Fellowcraft and Master Masons degrees. These murals, painted in "Trompe L'Oeil" (egg tempera) style, were originally created by Carle Wendle, a local artist, in 1874. Through the years, as a result of water damage, restorations have been made by two other celebrated Provincetown artists, the late James Wingate Parr and Charles Couper. The room originally had 10 floor to ceiling salon type windows. In the restoration of 1971, all were removed and shingled over. During the latest renovation in 1995, the two front windows were reinstalled, with careful attention to detail that they might exactly match the originals. These windows provide visitors with a breathtaking view of Provincetown harbor.
A view of the Northwest corner of the Lodge. The altar arrived via the Old Colony Railroad in 1875, a gift from Bro. Thomas D. Atwood of Mount Tabor Lodge in East Boston "for courtesies extended to him while he was in Provincetown in 1873". The bible was presented to the Lodge in 1876 by Bro. Lauren Young, who commanded some of Provincetown's finest whaling vessels, including the Rienzi, Chanticleer, Lewis Bruce and Mountain Spring.
The East of King Hiram's Lodge, showing the newly installed windows. On the left side of the photo can be seen the original charter of King Hiram's Lodge, which has just been restored and framed for viewing. The Grand Master in 1795 was Paul Revere, and his signature can still be plainly seen on this cherished document.
The Junior Wardens station in the South. The original draperies and carpets, being described as some of the finest examples of Victorian textiles, were replaced during a renovation and are now a part of the Victorian Art Collection at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C.
One of the original murals, depicting the Brazen Pillars.
This original mural was reproduced form woodcut engravings contained in the publication A Masonic Guide, published in 1826.